Thursday, February 28, 2008

Elections - endorsements vs. accountability

I just listened to a Speaking of Faith program featuring Jim Wallis, author of God's Politics. One of the many comments Wallis made which struck me addressed the issue of endorsing candidates.

He shared that he and his organization, Sojourners, has avoided endorsing candidates. Instead, they have worked to hold ALL CANDIDATES accountable to their agenda.

I've had my thoughts about the candidates for President of the USA as well as President of the UUA. But I haven't done enough to shape the debate.

Over the course of the campaign for President of the UUA I hope you'll join me in working to shape the debate BEFORE we campaign hard for either candidate.

Both UUA Presidential candidates have started posting youtube videos. We should start posting questions for them. I'd also love to host some discussions with the candidates via digitally recorded conference call.

What process ideas do you have for framing the debate?
How can we use web to increase participation in this UUA election?



Campaign Websites
Hallman - Morales

PS - I've already had a number of conversations about the cost of running for UUA President. Me, I'm going to give equally to both campaigns... You can do the same. Each of their sites have quick, easy and safe Paypal donate buttons.